The NXT Armadillo wheelchair back support has a three-section modular shell designed to adjust to fit the unique contour of the user’s spine and is designed for users with kyphosis or other spinal deformities. Fits 1″, ⅞” or ¾” / 2.5cm, 2.2cm, 1.9cm, cane diameters without shims. Removable quick-fit mounting hardware has height adjustment, 5″ / 13cm of depth, 25 degrees of posterior/anterior angle adjustment and even rotation.
Weight capacity 14″-20″ / 40cm – 50cm, 300lbs / 136kg. 22″ and 24″, 400lbs / 182kg. The NXT back support series offers a range of contours to provide posterior, posterior, lateral, and deep lateral support. The scapula cut-out shape is designed to provide excellent support and comfort while enhancing the user’s natural range of motion. For optimal positioning of the pelvis, pelvic-lumbar support pads can be uniquely positioned to customise the fit for the user. The wide range of sizes and contours provides exceptional support and comfort.
- Able to wrap around the curve of the spine for users with Kyphosis and other unique spinal positioning needs.
- Off-loading for spinous processes in the recessed middle channel.
- Expandable mounting hooks allow the back support to mount on wider wheelchairs (up to 2″ wider).
- An adjustable bottom plate offers individualized pelvic support at the PSIS.
- Lightweight aluminum three-section modular shell
- Dual-density foam back cushion includes smartGEL™ Infused Visco Technology
- Breathable stretch fabric cover (washable)
- Installation hardware – QuickFit
- Mounting system
Accessories & options
- 2″ Lateral Contour add-on
- Head supports
- Replacement cover and foam
NXT seating hardware
- Quick fit mount
- Two-point fixed mount
- Two-point micro mount
- Four-point fixed mount
SmartGEL and smartx3D – The perfect combinaton
The combination of NXT’s smartx3D fabric and smartGEL foam provides the ultimate comfort and support in our NXT Seating products. Our smartGEL foam offers a higher IFD (Indent Force Deflection and Density), yet it is incredibly soft, highly resilient, and long-lasting. smartGEL is a Visco Elastic foam that is infused with gel. The gel is incorporated into the foam mixture at the molecular level, which allows for 100% homogeneous cooling with no breakdown of embedded gel beads.
- Reduces surface temperature, drawing heat away from the skin
- Provides superior comfort and softness
- Highly resilient and long-lasting
- Higher IFD (Indent Force Deflection and density)
- The gel is 100% infused into the foam mixture vs embedded “gel beads”
Armadillo wheelchair back support specifications – inch (cm)
Preventing pressure ulcers
It can be difficult to prevent pressure ulcers completely, but there are some things you or your care team can do to reduce the risk.
- Regularly changing your position – if you’re unable to change position yourself, a relative or carer will need to help you
- Checking your skin every day for early signs and symptoms of pressure ulcers – this will be done by your care team if you’re in a hospital or care home
- Have a healthy, balanced diet that contains enough protein and a good variety of vitamins and minerals – if you’re concerned about your diet or caring for someone whose diet may be poor, ask your GP or healthcare team for a referral to a dietitian
- Stopping smoking – smoking makes you more likely to get pressure ulcers because of the damage caused to blood circulation
If you’re in a hospital or care home, your healthcare team should be aware of the risk of developing pressure ulcers. They should carry out a risk assessment, monitor your skin and use preventative measures, such as regular repositioning.
Don’t hesitate to contact one of our team members to get a quote or advice.